Truffle fries at Brighton? Why this family-friendly ski resort is getting a makeover ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.vox-cdn.com%2Fthumbor%2F3v-9-G8ZKSVcoCsmGixpzeb1cG4%3D%2F0x404%3A2596x2000%2F2596x1596%2Ffilters%3Afocal%281500x1000%3A1501x1001%29%2Fcdn.vox-cdn.com%2Fuploads%2Fchorus_asset%2Ffile%2F25242313%2Fmerlin_3015620
Peer instructor Sydney Tyler gives ski lessons to a child at Brighton Resort in Big Cottonwood Canyon on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2024.Megan Nielsen, Deseret News Purchase Image

Brighton, the ski resort at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon, has long been known for being no-frills, family-friendly, and a great place for locals to ski or snowboard.

Brighton is still one of Utah’s more affordable resorts but it recently added one significant frill — an upscale dining experience at the Milly Chalet with executive chef Jeffrey Sanich at the helm.

To check it out, I first spent a day skiing at Brighton. I’m spoiled, as many Utahns are, to live within spitting distance of multiple resorts. I hadn’t skied Brighton other than night skiing once in college, simply because it’s 10 minutes farther away than a few other resorts. But it still only took me 30 minutes to get there, and then seconds to walk from the parking lot to the lift because they are mere feet away from each other.

Once I had my lift ticket secured and my skis strapped on, I had my first-ever lift ride where all my other seatmates were from Salt Lake County. Usually I hear New York, Texas or California when I ask where other people are from on the lifts at the Park City or Little Cottonwood Canyon resorts.

After a few such conversations, I learned Brighton is many locals’ preferred resort. Like the resort says on its website, it’s the place where many of them learned to ski or snowboard. This is due in large part, I assume, to both affection for the resort and the relative affordability of lift tickets.

A seven-hour lift ticket currently ranges from $109 to $131, which yes, is a three-whole-digit price tag, but is still significantly lower than a ticket at many other resorts. Adults with season passes or single-day lift tickets can also claim up to two free tickets for children 6 and under. For children older than 6, a learner lift ticket for the Majestic and Explorer lifts is $80.

After a couple of powder-happy hours on the Great Western runs, I wandered over to the Explorer lift — aka the bunny hill — because I wanted to see if it was suitable for my kids, who are beginner snowboarders. Indeed, the hill is sloped just enough to gain momentum, but not so steep as to cause collisions, which is great for both my very cautious kid, who is nervous to board too fast, and my speed-happy kid, who really should be more cautious. So it’s no surprise so many winter sports enthusiasts cut their teeth at Brighton. Including chef Sanich.

“I’ve been skiing here since I was 2,” Sanich told me, explaining his deep connection to Brighton. “Brighton is a very special place to me, and I look forward to bringing my passion and enthusiasm to the resort for years to come.”

Source: https://www.deseret.com/utah/2024/1/26/24036292/brighton-utah-family-skiing-milly-chalet-jeffrey-sanich

What are your thoughts on this?