Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

description[Tutorial] Learn Serbian language Empty[Tutorial] Learn Serbian language

more_horiz
SERBIAN LANGUAGE

Serbian language is an official language of the Republica of Serbia and it is also spoken by minorities living in other countries such as Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Montenegro. Along with Bosnian, Croatian, Slovene, and Montenegrin, Serbian belongs to the western group of the South Slavic Languages.

Serbia has two alphabets, main one is cyrillic and the second one is latin. Official one, and in use for documents is cyrillic, but in modern age more people use latin alphabet.
Serbian language has 30 letters and 30 sounds (easy, don't you think). Comparing to other languages, reading and writing in Serbian language is quite simple. Kids in first grade of elementary school can master alphabet and will be able to read any complex book with ease. Only thing they need to learn are new words. There are no double letters in Serbian language, there is no letter in word where you don't read it depending on the word.
The rule is simple "Read as it is writen, write as you speak". That's it.

Now, to break it down in a simple example, word maca (kitty) has 4 letters, which means it has 4 sounds. If you know how to pronounce each sound, you simply read the word.
First step in learning Serbian language is learning how to pronounce each letter (learn sound  for each letter). After you master that, you are ready to read any word in Serbian dictionary with no problem (you only need to learn what it means).

NOTICE: In case you have any question regarding Serbian language, please open new topic related to that question. This topic is locked and it's purpose is to contain all of the lessons. Don't worry, you won't lose track of lessons. First post will contain link for each lesson (even the lesson is on page 95, you will be led there and won't get lost).

Serbian lessons

Last edited by Academic on Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:10 am; edited 3 times in total

description[Tutorial] Learn Serbian language EmptyRe: [Tutorial] Learn Serbian language

more_horiz
Lattin and Cyrillic alphabet

Letters will be shown in this format:
[Upper latin - lower lattin][Upper cyrillic - lower cyrillic] (Pronounced as...)

A - a [A - а]  (Pronounced as a in car)
B - b [Б - б] (Pronounced as b in book)
V - v [В - в] (Pronounced as v in viral)
G - g [Г - г] (Pronounced as g in good)
D - d - [Д - д] (Pronounced as d in dull)
Dj - dj [Ђ - ђ] (There is no sound like this in English language)
E - e [E - e] (Pronounced as e in pen)
Ž -ž [Ж - ж] (Pronounced as s in casual)
Z - z [З - з] (Pronounced as z in zoom)
I - i [И - и] (Pronounced as i in italy)
J - j [Ј - ј] (Pronounced as y in you)
K - k [К - к] (Pronounced as c in cook)
LJ - lj [Љ - љ] (There is no sound like this in English language)
M - m [М - м] (Pronounced as m in mother)
N - n [Н - н] (Pronounced as n in nobody)
NJ - nj [Њ - њ] (Pronounced as n in nwe)
O - o [О - о] (Pronounced as o in opera)
P - p [П - п] (Pronounced as p in peter)
R - r [Р - р] (Pronounced as r in rook but more stressed)
S - s [С - с] (Pronounced as s in sorrow)
T - t [Т - т] (Pronounced as t in took)
Ć - ć [Ћ - ћ] (There is no sound like this in English language)
U - u [У - у] (Pronounced as u in upside)
F - f [Ф - ф] (Pronounced as f in food)
H - h [Х - х] (Pronounced as h in hack)
C - c [С - с] (Pronounced as c in citrus)
Č - č [Ч - ч] (Pronounced as tch in ketchup)
DŽ - dž [Џ - џ] (Pronounced as j in judge)
Š - š [Ш - ш] (Pronounced as sh in cash)

Watch this video to hear the sounds and understand it better:

description[Tutorial] Learn Serbian language EmptyRe: [Tutorial] Learn Serbian language

more_horiz
Learn how to introduce yourself

When it comes to social interaction, the first thing you do is to introduce yourself. In order for you to continue with this tutorial, i hardly advice you to master alphabet first. If you don't know how to pronounce each letter, you won't be able to read outloud this sentences. I will use latin alphabet so you have much easier time to learn.

Person 1: Zdravo [Hello]
Person 2: Zdravo. Ja se zovem Petar [Hello. My name is Peter]
Person 1: Drago mi je. Ja se zovem Maja [It's my pleasure. My name is Maja]

more_horiz
Due to inactivity of this topic, we are locking it.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum